(no subject)
Aug. 17th, 2026 08:00 pmI took today off largely because I'm now taking at least one day's leave each month, and decided when I scheduled it I'd probably go see Spiderman then, although all this morning I wasn't sure it would be worth the walk in the heat, as well as paying too much to sit in too loud a place, though it didn't feel as loud this time. I might have not gone, in the end, if I hadn't also needed to get Claritin-D, which I did at the CVS by the Hoffman. I ended up at the 3D version because that was the one playing at the most convenient time, and I was actually impressed by the work the movie did with it, especially in the webslinging shots.
I maybe wasn't quite as impressed by the movie itself, though I did enjoy watching it. It was, perhaps, a genuine attempt by Marvel to make a superhero movie that adheres to more modern views of authority and its power arms, but found themselves only willing to do so by so much. And I don't even know if they genuinely intended for us to be rooting for Jean as much as I was by the time she was subdued, although really, that Damage Control guy lying was so obvious it's hard to think they didn't. After which, sure the bad guys became the bad guys, but honestly, it's still a problem that Peter was working with them and taking them at their word so much in the first place. Nor, for the record, did I at all like Frank's being so ready to shoot Jean. I certainly can't see the Frank Castle of the Netflix series being willing to shoot such a young woman after hearing she was just try to get to her only family who were being held by corrupt authorities. Although at this point, I'm inclined to treat any characters that are supposed being brought into new Marvel media that were originally on Netflix of just being different versions of those characters.
Still, at the rate we're going, this may well end up being the best version of the Dark Pheonix storyline we ever see adapted to screen, even if the writers probably didn't even think of it as that. And I like well enough what it did with Peter Parker, as they try to maneuver him into the kind of character he's supposed to be in the comics.
All in all, I'm not sorry I went. Though for Doomsday I suspect I might wait until it's on Disney+ I dislike walking through the cold even more than walking through the heat.
I also spent the last three days trying to record my latest song. I was mildly surprised when I actually got a full recording just now. I may or may not end up posting it next weekend.
I maybe wasn't quite as impressed by the movie itself, though I did enjoy watching it. It was, perhaps, a genuine attempt by Marvel to make a superhero movie that adheres to more modern views of authority and its power arms, but found themselves only willing to do so by so much. And I don't even know if they genuinely intended for us to be rooting for Jean as much as I was by the time she was subdued, although really, that Damage Control guy lying was so obvious it's hard to think they didn't. After which, sure the bad guys became the bad guys, but honestly, it's still a problem that Peter was working with them and taking them at their word so much in the first place. Nor, for the record, did I at all like Frank's being so ready to shoot Jean. I certainly can't see the Frank Castle of the Netflix series being willing to shoot such a young woman after hearing she was just try to get to her only family who were being held by corrupt authorities. Although at this point, I'm inclined to treat any characters that are supposed being brought into new Marvel media that were originally on Netflix of just being different versions of those characters.
Still, at the rate we're going, this may well end up being the best version of the Dark Pheonix storyline we ever see adapted to screen, even if the writers probably didn't even think of it as that. And I like well enough what it did with Peter Parker, as they try to maneuver him into the kind of character he's supposed to be in the comics.
All in all, I'm not sorry I went. Though for Doomsday I suspect I might wait until it's on Disney+ I dislike walking through the cold even more than walking through the heat.
I also spent the last three days trying to record my latest song. I was mildly surprised when I actually got a full recording just now. I may or may not end up posting it next weekend.